Apply online for Legal Assistance !!!
New Mexico Legal Aid is very happy to resume accepting ONLINE APPLICATIONS for legal help.
New Mexico Legal Aid assists low-income New Mexico residents with civil legal issues.
We do not generally help with criminal cases, and you should contact the New Mexico Office of the Public Defender. (However, if your criminal case is filed in a tribal court, we may be able to assist & you can apply for help.)
Qualifying for help is based on:
- Income and assets of all people living in your home;
- Your citizenship status (under some circumstances we can assist even if you are not a US citizen);
- The kind of legal problem you have.
Due to limited resources, our staff are not able to assist every kind of legal issue; we also cannot provide an attorney to everyone who qualifies for services.
We focus on legal problems that affect basic needs such as housing, income, medical care and family safety.
If you are a victim of abuse, call our Domestic Violence, Sexual Assault & Stalking Legal Helpline from a SAFE phone: 1-877-974-3400. If you think you are in danger right now, call 911 right away!
If your problem is urgent, or if you would rather apply by phone, DO NOT USE THIS INTERVIEW. Call our Statewide Telephone Intake Line at 1-833-545-4357. The Intake Line is open Monday through Thursday from 10am to 3pm
You now have 2 ways to apply for legal help:
- Call our Telephone Intake Line:
- Open Monday through Thursday, 10am to 3pm
- Apply online 24/7.
- Note that our new system is in the process of being upgraded and you will see updates and changes in the New Year.
By clicking the APPLY NOW link below, you will be given access to our brief online application where you will be asked to enter:
- Your name,
- Date of Birth,
- County of Residence,
- Telephone Number,
- and Email address (email info is optional).
This information will be transmitted securely to New Mexico Legal Aid.
After review, one of our Telephone Intake Screener/Specialists will call you. They will try to call within 5 business days after you submit the online intake. (Be sure to answer and that **your voicemail is set up, **not full, and **you know how to retrieve messages.)
If you qualify for free legal aid from NMLA, we may:
- Assign your case to one of our attorney for an initial consultation and discussion about the types of services we might be able to provide.
- Give you written information about your legal rights.
- Ask you to send us more information about your case.
- Refer you to a free attorney or a self-help center.