New Mexico Legal Aid Seeks Volunteer Attorney Program Director (open until December 14th or until position filled)
New Mexico Legal Aid Seeks Volunteer Attorney Program Director
New Mexico Legal Aid is seeking a dynamic and creative leader to serve as Director of our statewide Volunteer Attorney Program. This position requires close work with the State Bar of New Mexico and the New Mexico Commission on Access to Justice. The candidate must know how to plan, execute, oversee and evaluate a successful program to deliver volunteer legal services.
NMLA, the State Bar and the Commission on Access to Justice are committed to building and maintaining one of the most successful and innovative pro bono projects in the country. The Volunteer Attorney Program Director will work closely with the NMLA Executive Director and Director of Litigation, State Bar leaders, Courts, local Judicial District pro bono committees, individual private attorneys and law firms, law school faculty and student groups, and civil legal services partner agencies throughout the state to achieve maximum potential of pro bono initiatives for providing representation and other forms of legal assistance to low-income New Mexicans.
If you become the new Volunteer Attorney Program Director, you will be responsible for the overall function of the Volunteer Attorney Program (VAP), supervise two full-time-equivalent staff, collaborate with project partners, Bar leaders and volunteers from throughout the state, and:
- Acts as a liaison with other New Mexico Legal Aid (NMLA) managers and NMLA administration
- Be responsible for implementation of NMLA and Legal Services Corporation (LSC) policies related to VAP
- Write and present regular reports for NMLA, Access to Justice (ATJ) and LSC
- Lead efforts for new Private Attorney Involvement (PAI) grants
- Develop and maintain relationships with volunteer attorneys and is available to provide support when needed
- Develop VAP procedures and policies as needed
- Develop VAP sponsored (continuing legal education credits) (CLEs) and attorney appreciation events
- Problem-solve issues that arise related to VAP, including follow-up with clients, VAP attorneys, or other people and entities
- Serve as first contact for case referrals, and assign cases to staff
- Develop and effectuate VAP messaging and outreach
- Expand the number of pro bono attorneys willing to provide pro bono services
- Organize and recruit volunteer attorneys for legal clinics and events throughout New Mexico;
- Lead statewide efforts to increase placement of pro bono cases, especially in key areas such as family law, housing and consumer law.
- Research and develop new ideas for delivery of volunteer legal services to the eligible populations of New Mexico
We are looking for highly motivated candidates who are passionate and strongly committed to helping NMLA and our statewide pro bono partners better serve our client community.
The position will be located in Albuquerque but will require periodic travel around the State.
Requirements: Five or more years’ experience as a practicing attorney, license to practice in New Mexico or licensed in any other state and eligible for New Mexico license. Prior experience working with pro bono programs or handling pro bono cases is a plus. Candidates must possess excellent written and oral communication skills, the ability to manage multiple tasks, and enthusiasm for building collaborative relationships within the State Bar and the statewide pro bono community. Must be willing to travel. Proficiency in Spanish is a plus.
Please send a current resume, three references, and a letter of interest explaining what you would like to accomplish if you are selected for this position to: email@example.com
Salary: DOE, NMLA is an EEO Employer. Deadline: December 14, 2019 or until position filled.