NMLA seeks Agricultural Worker Program Staff Attorney (DEADLINE: October 31,2019, or until position filled)
New Mexico Legal Aid seeks candidates interested in serving as a staff attorney for our Centro Legal Campesino Farmworker Program. The position will be based in Las Cruces, New Mexico and will require travel throughout southern and southeastern New Mexico.
The attorney will lead NMLA’s statewide advocacy, outreach and community education on behalf of migrant and seasonal agricultural workers. The work will focus on legal rights and issues impacting agricultural workers throughout the state, including systemic pattern cases strategically selected to address issues of significant importance to our clients.
We seek highly motivated individuals who are passionate and committed to helping NMLA better serve the farmworker community, including development of effective team strategies to handle complex advocacy and extended representation cases.
DESCRIPTION OF PROGRAM: NMLA’s Centro Legal Campesino provides free civil legal aid to agricultural workers throughout the state -- predominantly in the south and southeast. NMLA case priorities include wage theft, employment discrimination and harassment, workplace health and safety violations, civil rights abuses, and immigration relief for survivors of violence and human trafficking.
RESPONSIBILITIES: The Staff Attorney will provide effective legal services to enforce agricultural workers’ rights. Advocacy tasks include:
- Multi-faceted advocacy to support project initiatives (Wage Justice Agricultural Guest Workers, Workplace Health & Safety, Labor Trafficking)
- Outreach in rural areas and at farmworker community centers across New Mexico and at the El Paso/Juarez border
- Case development and litigation in federal and state courts for claims under the Agricultural Worker Protection Act and federal and state wage laws
- Advice, counsel, and representation as appropriate for farmworkers before administrative agencies for wage theft and health and safety violations
- Advice, counsel, and representation as appropriate for farmworkers in poverty law practice areas (public benefits, unemployment insurance, housing, and consumer)
- Development of community legal education materials and conduct Know Your Rights presentations and participatory workshops
- Work in strategic partnerships, including co-counseling relationships, with other legal services and advocacy organizations
- Development and strengthening relationships with community agencies
- Participation in state-wide, regional, and national coalitions and taskforces
- Fluency (or high proficiency) in Spanish and English
- Ability to work effectively as part of team
- Collaborative work ethic
- Passion and energy to confront systemic injustices faced by farmworker communities
- Experience working with marginalized individuals and populations, especially immigrants
- Commitment to a client-centered approach to advocacy and working on challenging issues in a compassionate and sensitive manner
- Willingness and ability to do evening and weekend work, especially in harvest season, and to travel throughout New Mexico and to the El Paso/Juarez border region.
Requirements: English-Spanish bilingual fluency highly preferred. Three to five years prior experience with migrant and seasonal agricultural worker advocacy highly preferred. Must be willing to travel. Candidates also must possess excellent written and oral communication skills, the ability to manage multiple tasks, manage a significant caseload and build collaborative relationships within the staff and the community. Must be licensed to practice law in New Mexico, or eligible for admission in New Mexico if licensed in another state.
Applicants may be subject to a background search. Please do not let this deter you from applying. NMLA is committed to a strong workforce and recognizes that persons with marks on their record may still be able to perform admirably.
Send a current resume and a letter of interest explaining what you would like to accomplish if you are selected for the position to: email@example.com
Salary: DOE, excellent benefits, NMLA is an EEO Employer. Deadline: Applications accepted until October 31,2019, or until position filled