New Mexico Legal Aid and the Victim’s Rights Program
THE NM CRIME VICTIMS LEGAL ASSISTANCE PROGRAM offers our services without regard to an applicant’s income or immigration status.
We may be able to help you with:
- Information and referrals;
- Consultations with our staff attorneys;
- When applicable, direct representation in New Mexico’s criminal, civil, and administrative courts.
Practice areas include, but are not limited to: victims’ rights enforcement, employment, education, family law and financial recovery.
As a victim of crime in New Mexico, you have certain rights. However, you must actively pursue those rights and we can help.
Victim’s Rights in New Mexico:
- The right to be notified if an arrest has been made.
- The right to be treated with dignity and respect and to be reasonably protected from the accused throughout the criminal justice process.
- The right to timely disposition of the case.
- If you request, you have a right to be notified of any and all court hearings.
- The right to attend any court hearing the accused can attend.
- The right to confer with the prosecution.
- The right to make a statement at certain hearings regarding your safety, entry of a plea agreement or change of plea, at sentencing and at all post-sentencing hearings.
- The right to restitution from the person convicted that caused the victim’s loss or injury.
- The right to have the prosecuting attorney notify your employer, if requested, of the necessity of your cooperation and testimony in a court proceeding that may require your absence from work.
- The right to promptly receive any personal property belonging to you that is being held for evidentiary purposes, unless there are compelling reasons for retention of the victim’s property.
Please call 1-833-545-4357
Funded by the New Mexico Crime Victims Reparation Commission